"Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings." ~ Psalm 17:8
Shadow of His Wings Orphanage
Shadow of His Wings Orphanage is currently home to approximately 90 children. Our kids come from a variety of backgrounds - including physical and sexual abuse, neglect, abandonment, human trafficking, and/or the loss of both parents. Our goal is to raise these children in a way that they can find peace and experience the healing love of Jesus Christ.
What Makes Us Unique:
- Our children live in family units, with Christian parents. The boys and girls at Shadow of His Wings live in family units with Guatemalan couples and their biological children, plus up to 12 children from the Home (following the model of Christ and His 12 disciples). This gives our children the experience of being part of a loving family - sometimes the first time in their lives!
- Our transition program. Having seen the need for our kids to gain more real world experiences, we started our transition program for kids 17 and up in February of 2011. The young ladies at Casa Magdalena live in the town of Monjas, help manage their own family budget, do their own shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. and have much more freedom to be out in the community and make outside friends.
- Our focus on changing the world for Christ. One of the things that surprises people is that our kids, coming from many desperate situations, actively go out into the community to minister to others. Our goal at the James Project is to raise up children who will reach their world for Christ. These children may grow up to be spouses, parents, missionaries, teachers, doctors, lawyers, or whatever else God calls them to, but the family experience they have at Shadow of His Wings will influence them to live their lives for Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit and therefore change their worlds for Christ!
- Each one of our 7 homes is named after a person in the Bible.
- We currently have approximately 90 kids.
- We opened our first boy's home in 2014.
- We accept children from Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Belize.
Liberty Christian School
Excellence in Education
Many of the children that come to Shadow have never had the opportunity to go to school, and by law they must start in first grade. Liberty has a government approved program that allows capable students to complete 2 grades per year to catch up to their peers.
When Liberty was opened in 2006, they offered only elementary grades. They have developed programs and grown to accommodate first middle school and then high school grades as the need grew.
Our future plans include offering university level programs at Liberty Christian School!
Winning Reputation in the Community
In 2011, the school was opened to community children in order to meet numbers requirements for middle and high school grades. Liberty Christian has earned such a wonderful reputation in Monjas that there is now a long waiting list for students from town who would like the opportunity to attend.
Excellence in Extra Curricular Activities
A favorite sporting event for school-aged kids here in Guatemala is gymnastics. Gymnastics in Guatemala is a choreographed group aerobics routine. Profe Raul choreographs routines for local competitions. We have won first place locally in at least one level for the last several years. In 2009 and 2011 we went on to win the national championship! The children always set a great example of sportsmanship and constantly shine the light of Christ with their Christian messages, music choices, and costumes.
- We have approximately 150 students at Liberty Christian School, including almost 70 from the local town.
- High school in Guatemala means choosing and studying a career. There are 3 career opportunities at Liberty at this time: graphic design, computation and elementary education (teacher).
Widows of Purple Weaving Ministry
The goal of the Widows of Purpose ministry is to fulfill the second commission of James 1:27 - to care for widows and single or abandoned mothers. We are doing this by equipping women with skills so they care care for themselves and their families.
Currently, the widows program is focused on weaving but we hope to expand to include other skills such as baking, sewing, business management, etc.
We'd also like to expand the programs and start to teach our girls who won't be able to finish school either because they began their education at such a late age or because they are more gifted in the trades than in academics.
- Additional training opportunities for widows and the kids at Shadow of His Wings.
- Possibilities include sewing, baking, hair stylist, business training, mechanics, carpentry, and much more!